As the Royal Mint launches its British Gold Britannias for 2023, it marks the end of an era. Queen Elizabeth II of England passed away in September 2022 and the initial 2023 British Gold Britannia Coins are the last to feature the popular monarch’s effigy in this series.
- Coins arrive in protective flips, acrylic tubes of 10 coins, or mint-sealed boxes of 100 coins!
- 37th year of availability in the British Gold Britannia Series!
- Final coin with Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse!
- Contains 1 Troy oz of .9999 pure gold in BU condition.
- Issued a face value of 100 Pound sterling (GBP) by Britain.
- Queen Elizabeth II on the obverse.
- Modern depiction of Britannia on the reverse.
- Includes four security features on the reverse!
With the recent passing of Queen Elizabeth II, British currency faces a major transition for the first time in several generations. Given Her Majesty’s reign spanned 70 years and 214 days, the only monarch to appear on British currency for decades now has been her portrait. The 2022/2023 Britannias will be among the last from the Royal Mint to bear her image.
In 2023, the Royal Mint continues with the use of four security elements on the reverse of the coins. These include a wave texture motion in the background, a latent security image, tincture lines on the Union Jack shield, and a micro-text engraving around the design field.
Queen Elizabeth II appears on the obverse of 2022/2023 1 oz Gold Britannias for the final time. Her Majesty is shown here in right-profile relief wearing the George IV State Diadem. This popular fifth-generation portrait of the Queen was created in 2015 by Jody Clark and depicts the beloved monarch at the age of 89.
Britannia is captured in the reverse design of 2022/2023 British Gold Britannia Coins. Designed for the Royal Mint in 1987 by Philip Nathan, this design has remained a constant in the series. Britannia originally featured on sovereign coins in the early 18th century at the formation of the United Kingdom between England and Scotland.
These 2022/2023 1 oz British Gold Britannia Coins are available to you individually in protective flips. Multiples arrive in either acrylic tubes of 10 coins or boxes of 100 coins with 10 tubes in total inside. Each coin is in Brilliant Uncirculated condition.